Friday, November 18, 2011

Trottin', down to Buffalo . . .

Silly me, I never updated you on the status of my Buffalo Turkey Trot decision...well, I signed up and I'm running the 8K (5 miles) this upcoming Thanksgiving morning! Woo!

It'll be my very first race, and I am so excited. I've been training in the gym for the past few weeks, going from 3 miles, to 4 miles, to 5 miles, to 5.5 miles (just to push it a little). 

In those past few weeks, I've learned a lot about running: how important it is to stretch pre and post run, how not to think about running while you're running, how you might feel soreness in parts of your legs and back you never knew existed (until you stretch, that is), how a good playlist on your iPod is key when running 5 miles on a treadmill...

I don't think it'll be boring to run this race, though. There are a lot of creative people at these Turkey Trots . . . check out this trotter:
 Needless to say, with all this training, planning for the Thanksgiving holiday, and working in a job when overtime is as common as sneezing, it's left me in a scramble to get dinner on the table lickety-split. Luckily, I have a few tricks up my sleeve!

When I first decided to eat primarily vegan, I didn't want to miss out of ultra savory sauces - like Alfredo. Hey, I am half Italian, after all!
After some snooping around on the internet, I managed to piece together a wonderful vegan Alfredo recipe. It's super thick, creamy, "cheesy", and (most importantly) it's so easy to make.
So, without further ado. . . 

Ultra Creamy Vegan Tomato Alfredo Sauce  
You'll need:
1/4 cup Nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 cup water
1 1/2 tbs vegan butter (Earth Balance)
1/4 cup tomato paste

To make:
1. Mix dry ingredients in a sauce pan
2. Add water and mix with fork/whisk until smooth
3. Turn heat on stove top to medium-high heat and add vegan butter and tomato paste
4. Stir very frequently (almost consistently), making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot.
5. Alfredo sauce will thicken as it heats. Heat and stir until sauce reaches typical Alfredo texture.
6. Pour on top of pasta, barley, rice...whatever your pleasure!





 What are your favorite go-to, lickety-splt meals?

0 comments:

Post a Comment