Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wanna date?

Yesterday, I received a package in the mail from the people of Bard Valley Medjool Dates. As a thank you for submitting a recipe (that uses their dates) and picture of the finished product, they sent me samples of their dates!
I was moseying around in Facebook when I saw that Bard Valley had posted a status update: "We love hearing about the interesting ways you use Medjool dates. So send us your favorite recipe and we'll send you a sample pack."

...Free stuff? I'm in.
I dug through my recipe folder to find my go-to recipe that uses dates - Raw, vegan brownies with frosting.

I entered the recipe just hoping they might see it and give me a few free dates. I actually kind of forgot about until a few days ago, I was trolling the Facebook wall and saw a post from Medjool dates...then I saw my name...then I realized it was my raw, vegan brownie picture they posted...they chose my recipe!

Here's what they posted:
"Here's a recipe sent in by our good friend Alyssa. She has sample packs of Bard Valley Medjool dates on their way to her as a thank you. Would you like some Medjool Dates? Send us your recipe and we'll send you medjool dates as a thanks you too. More details at http:bardmedjool.com/recipedateexchange

Raw, vegan brownies with frosting

Ingredients : Brownies
1 cup walnuts
1 cup Bard Valley Medjool dates, pitted
1/3 cup cocoa powder

Ingredients : Frosting
1 avocado
2 tbsp + 2 tsp raw honey (for just raw) or agave nectar (for raw and vegan)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
dash salt
dash cinnamon

To make:
1. Combine walnuts, dates, and the 1/3 cup of cocoa powder in a food processor and process until the mixture has a fine, grainy texture. Pat this into a 8inch x 8inch pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, blend the avocado, honey or agave, second bit of cocoa, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon until smooth.
3. Spread the icing over the brownie base and then put in the freezer for about an hour to set. The brownies keep well in the freezer (never freezing solidly) for about a week.










I was very excited that they chose to post this recipe - it's so easy to make and really very delicious.

Have you ever baked/cooked/used dates in a recipe? What is you favorite is your favorite way to eat dates?
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment