Saturday, October 22, 2011

5 mile smoothie

I've been toying with the idea of running in my city's Turkey Trot this Thanksgiving. Buffalo's turkey trot the oldest known turkey trot footrace, dating back to 1896.
 Last year was the 115th annual race and it brought about 11,000 racers. Most people go to run the 5 mile course with just a low time score in mind, but some people have really gone all out and had a lot of fun with it.
 I've never raced before, but I think it would be a fun challenge. I have until Oct. 31st to make a decision.
As I think about signing up for this race, I've been pushing myself on my runs with the idea of training for 5 miles (in the Buffalo November weather) in under 45 minutes. I can currently do a 4 mile run (indoors, on a treadmill) in roughly 36 minutes -  I know I can do better than that! Bring on the miles!

One of the things that helps me get through my runs is the post-run smoothie I've concocted.
It's sweet, hearty, and definitely satisfying after a good run.
 5 mile smoothie
You'll need:
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any non-dairy milk of your choice)
1 somewhat ripened banana
3 ice cubes (not shown in picture above)
3 T rolled oats
1T carob powder
1T cinnamon
1t chia seeds

To make:
1. Peel banana, break in half, put in blender
2. Add the oats, carob, cinnamon, and chia
3. Add the almond milk and ice cubes
4. Blend on the CRUSH ICE setting until the ice is completely broken up
5. Switch to the LIQUEFY setting until all oats are blended and the texture looks thick and smooth

The result is a sweet, hearty, guilt-free recovery shake that provides you with some good carbs and keeps you feeling full.

0 comments:

Post a Comment