Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Spring-Fresh Veggie And Bocca Stir-Fry

Things around here lately have been very spring-like.






The sun has been shining bright and Jon and I have been taking advantage of the warm weather. We visited Buffalo's Delaware park and also, Williamsville's Glenn Falls Park this past weekend.

Paging through National Geographic, people watching, picture taking, and cat naps are a great way to waste away time on a lazy weekend afternoon. We saw a wedding party taking photos, people fishing and riding ATVs in the park (and then getting kicked out), screaming children, and lot and lots of people walking dogs (*sigh* someday I'll have my own dog).

I've also been getting better and I'm slowly making my way back to normal health. Yesterday, I ran 5 miles in 44 minutes before work, and then went to a concert that night!

Jon and I went to see one of my favorite bands, Beats Antique.


They're a funky band that originated making mostly tribal (yet melodic) instrumental belly dance music. More recently, though, they've been delving into the world of electronic music and mixing their traditional sound with synthesized tones and beats.

I still love them just the same, even though their music not as raw and traditional as it was when they first started. In fact, I really dig this new direction in which they're headed.  If a band doesn't experiment with their style/sound, I can't see how they would grow and continue to be inspiring.

The thing that really drew me to this band was Zoe Jakes.


She is one of the best tribal belly dancers I've ever seen. Her style is earthy and gritty...not polished and flashy like traditional belly dance. She moves LIKE music, not WITH the music (if that makes sense; I just got poetic about it). It's been a while since I last belly danced, but I aspire to move like her someday.

Maybe with a healthy stir-fry dinner I can find some energy to train for my half marathon AND practice my long-missed belly dance hobby. . .

Spring-Fresh Veggie And Bocca Stir-Fry
You'll need:
1 C dry whole wheat quinoa
2 C water
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
dash of salt and pepper

1 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 C mukimame
1/2 C sugar snap peas
1/2 C mushrooms
1 roma tomato (chopped)
3 T chopped sweet onion
2 bocca burgers (optional)
1-2 T olive oil
1-2 T teriyaki sauce

To make:
1. In a sauce pan, combine water with spices. Stir in quinoa.
2. Bring water/quinoa mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook (covered) for about 12-18 minutes. When finished, water will be gone and quinoa will be light and fluffy. Set aside.
3. In a high-sided pan (I use a mock wok-type pan), heat olive oil and saute onion on medium heat.
4. Add all veggies and saute to desired texture (still slightly crunchy, cooked until soft, or basically mush)
5. Cook 2 bocca burgers in the microwave for 2 minutes. Chop into bite-sized bits and add to veggies.
6. Add the teriyaki sauce and stir to combine.
7. Scoop quinoa into a bowl and add the stir-fry on top.

This is a super easy, super fast week night dish. It's light, yet filling and combines a lot of great flavors.





2 comments:

  1. Oooo! I'm so envious! I would love to see Beats Antique in concert but they never come close by! I'm sure it was awesome :)
    I so agree with what you said about their musical progression. I used to cling so much to their old stuff, but their new direction is so funky you can't help but love it! Because I loved to dance to their old stuff, it's also pushing me to find new and creative ways to work with the new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're touring all summer, so hopefully, they'll play near you so you have the chance to see a show.
      I totally understand what you mean about "clinging" to a band's original style. It's hard to listen to the music change when you fell in love something slightly different. But, it's great to hear that the new music is challenging you to be creative and grow! :)

      Delete