Saturday, March 10, 2012

Two from one!

Sorry it's been a while . . . the week got hectic with work, 1/2 marathon training, baby showers (oh gosh, not for me), our California trip planning (more on that later!), and Sabres games. I've still been whipping up grub, though!

When the week looks like it's going to be hectic, I try to make enough dinner so there will be leftovers for lunch the next day, and I also try to dream up food that could be used two ways.

My go to two-way foods are usually dips/spreads. With dips/spreads, I can make a big batch at one time, the flavor combinations are endless, and I can usually get one batch to last the week (depending how delicious, it is of course).

A favorite concoction is this:

Creamy Basil Avocado Dip/Spread
You'll need:
1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium-sized ripe avocado
1 hand full FRESH basil leaves
1 T pizza seasoning (my pre-mixed dry spice contains Oregano, Basil, marjoram, and grain garlic)
1 T nutritional yeast
1/2 t season salt
1/4 - 1/2 t adobo light seasoning
1 t lemon juice

To make:
1. Throw all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth!



Who doesn't love a 1-step recipe?!?

This dip/spread's texture is light and fluffy/whipped. The flavor is fresh, herby, and slightly salted.

We usually dip fresh veggies into it and also pretzels and triscuits!
For lunches, I use this as a spreadable base in a wrap,and then load it up with veggies and hot sauce.
This can also be used on the roasted vegetable vegan pizza as the base (in place of the cheese).

Do you have any two from one recipes? How about any sneaky ways to make busy work week cooking easier?

0 comments:

Post a Comment