Sunday, March 4, 2012

Low Fat (Yes! Low Fat) Peanut Butter Smoothie

Peanut butter is addictive. I have a hard time keeping a jar in the house for more than 2 weeks because I'll steal a spoonful whenever the mood strikes me - and with peanut butter, the mood strikes often.

While peanut butter has good protein, healthy fats, and is generally good for you in moderation, the line has to be drawn that peanut butter cannot be eaten every day . . .or can it?

During a recent grocery shopping trip, I was browsing the natural nut butters when a woman and her child came into the aisle and took a spot next to me, looking at the nut butters and spreads. She took something off the shelf, looked at its packaging for a second, turned to me and asked if I had even tried this. I looked at what she was holding and I had never seen it before - powered peanut butter.
She said that a friend told her this stuff was great to mix into plain Greek yogurt and then put in the freezer; she said it turned out like peanut butter ice cream!

I told her I've never heard of it, but that little trick sounded great. I took a jar of my own, inspected the label, and what a surprise - it was. . .low in fat! Peanut butter - low fat?!? Jackpot.
 
Into my cart it went.

While I haven't tried the Greek yogurt "ice cream" invention yet, I've developed a little smoothie treat!

Low Fat Peanut Butter Smoothie
You'll need:
1 banana, chopped, frozen
2 ice cubes
1/4 - 1/3 c plain Greek yogurt
2 T powered peanut butter
1 - 2 T honey
1 T chia seeds
1 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk

To make:
1. Place ice cubes and frozen banana in blender
2. Next, add Greek yogurt, honey, powdered peanut butter, and chia seeds
3. Last, add vanilla almond milk
4. Blend on crush ice setting first for about 45 seconds, then liquefy for another 45seconds.
5. Pour into large glass and enjoy!

This smoothie turned out thick, slightly sweet, and with a peanutty flavor! You'll satisfy your peanut butter craving with (like the jar says) 85% less fat!


What's your favorite thing to make with peanut butter? Have you ever been randomly introduced to a product that you absolutely love?

0 comments:

Post a Comment