Saturday, February 11, 2012

Healthy Apple Pie Breakfast Smoothie

When I used the last of the baby spinach and pineapple yesterday morning for my daily green monster, I knew I'd have to get creative for breakfast on Saturday.

There are not too many fresh ingredients left in the house on the weekend as grocery day is usually Sunday, but I had a leftover golden delicious apple in the fruit basket and 2 bananas in the freezer from the other night when we planned to make banana "soft serve", but got too full from dinner and never got to it.

Being a girl with a weakness for sweets and a constant underlying craving for dessert as every meal, I decided to concoct a healthy apple pie breakfast smoothie.

Here's how it went. . .

Healthy Apple Pie Breakfast Smoothie
You'll need:
1 frozen banana (first sliced, then frozen)
1/2 a golden delicious apple (I left skin on for added nutrients), cubed
3 T steel cut oats
1 T vanilla extract
1 T cinnamon
1 T chia seeds
1 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
To make:
1. Place frozen banana pieces in blender, then apple chunks.
2.  Add the oats, chia seeds, cinnamon
3. Last, add the vanilla and milk
4. Blend using the "liquefy" setting and leave it for a minute to make sure all the ingerdients are fully blended and smooth.

The result is a thick,  cinnamon-y smoothie with slight hints of apple. I think next time i make this, I'll use less cinnamon and double the apple - so maybe 1-2 t cinnamon and one whole apple, cubed.


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment